31. maaliskuuta 2010

A kid in a candy storey


I finally got it!!           

After weeks of considering, I finally bought them! :) Last week I bought myself a brand new shortboard and a wetsuit. The suit is a 4/3mm Billabong Foil. Now you could still get along with a 3/2mm shorty, but I didn't want to buy many. The winter is pretty damn gold to surf here, about 10 degrees on the average. Later on, I gotta buy still booties and gloves, and the set is warm enough for the whole year. Luckily, the winter is not so long here, more like June and July. In addition, we have the holidays and I'm hopefully surfing in northern Brasilia! :)

The board was bit trickier. To be honest, I just started the whole stuff and hadn't got a clue about the different models etc. In the first week I took a class with some huge longboard. I ended up swearing all the missed jogs and gyms (it's rough!), but otherwise it wasn't so difficult. In the next weeks I kept renting 7'3" and 7'2" funboards, and they also worked out quite nice. At the beginning, I was also going to buy seven-something funboard or semigun. However, I can surf twice a day and it could become boring after while. So I ended up buying a shortboard (6'8" x 19.75" x 2.5") of a local brand Uva. It's bit more fat and thus floats a lot. The first times were bit difficult but I have a lot of time to learn!

The price level is generally bit cheaper here than in Europe (thought there's a rough inflation all the time). However, the distance and customs raise the prices of imported good. As well as in this case, the suit coasted 200€ and the board 270€. Anyway, I don't care, I have them now. I can eat some pasta and I can surf every day! :)
My darling
  
She's not a virgin anymore..

El puerto

On Friday we went to check out the harbor. Eventhought the city lives nowadays mostly off tourism, fishing and marine industry are still important parts of the economics. Mar del Plata has one of the biggest harbors in Argentina. It's beautiful place in the afternoon, to wander around and to observe the returning fishing boats. (I have no idea why they're all yellow/ orange??) Anyway, after you can have a delicious dinner in one of areas numerous restaurants or buy some fresh fish direct from the fishers. Thought, the area is bit hazardous, take care of your wallet!

AND, the best part: there are wild sea lions!!! They are hilarious!:) I haven't seen lazier animals in my life. I think they do nothing but chill at sunshine and eat! Hehe, not a bad way of life.. You can spot the young and brave ones swimming around the harbour. The main group lies at the breakwater. Don't worry, they won't go anywhere. And they smell like old fish. Thought I like fishing, I don't mind. Google Reserva Faunística de Lobos Marinos to find the place.

At the end of the breakwater you can find a wanna-be-Rio statue, some windsurfers and an amazing view of Mar del Plata! Ok, I know what the monument is but it reminds me of the one in Rio. Here are some photos of the day:

The mall
The fishing boats
Not so lucky ones..
I envy these guys..
Monumento a San Salvador
The panorama of southern Mar del Plata

           

Rest of the week was quite chilly. I bought the surfboard on Friday so after that I've been every day in the water. Hehe, I made a new schedule to my life here in Mar del Plata. Let's see how it works.. The classes are always in the evening. If manage to wake up early every day, I can surf always twice in a day, in the morning and before the classes (whenever there's waves). In the afternoon, there's still enough time for studies and day-to-day business..

On Thursday evening we had a nice skate session with a friend in the front yard of hostel. (Just flat and sketchy curb, fun still) On Friday evening there was I nice birthday party couple blocks away. On Saturday evening just stayed here in Alem with couple of biers. On Sunday I slept till afternoon. After nice long breakfast, I packed backpack and spend the day in the beach. First couple hours of surf and then skate. :) (There's a decent skate hall right next to the Playa Grande!) Anyway, here are couple pics:

Home drop :D
The irthday party
Grabbing some Milanese’s
Hostel homies
Gotta try some day!
Home neighborhood and the "school" bus :)
Rio statue vol 3

My life is quite different here than in party planet Dresden. Actually, I'm just happy about that. Not that I didn't like it in Germany. I loved in and of course miss the people. But it was also rather hectic once in a while... Here it's nice chilly and I can surf every day! After all, that's why I came! :) Other day, I even started to read the chrismast present. (Thanks mom if you're reading this, the book is really good!)


In this week I'm about to move to my own flat, and selebrate Easter (semana santa). It's a quite big thing here, like the last event of the summer. A lot of people will come here to Mar del Plata I think. Let's see! :) 

Seya soon and enjoy the spring!
(I bet you do, at least all the skiing homies there in the north) :)

Chau
Anssi

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti